Food Tank Event Fellow
Location: San Diego
Food Tank (www.FoodTank.com) is one of the fastest growing nonprofit organizations around food and agriculture issues, focused on building a global community for safe, healthy, nourished eaters. We spotlight environmentally, socially, and economically sustainable ways of alleviating hunger, obesity, and poverty, and create networks of people, organizations, and content to push for food system change.
Food Tank is hosting two Summits this fall. The first will be on October 3, 2018 in New York City, titled “Focusing on Food Loss and Food Waste.” The second will be on November 14, 2018 in San Diego, titled “Growing the Food Movement”.
Food Tank is looking for a high-energy, high-enthusiasm, talented, and committed fellow based in San Diego to help us with local outreach and sponsorships, volunteer coordination, and logistics.
Some responsibilities include:
- Assist with the creation and management of a team of volunteers for the Summit.
- Assist with outreach to local businesses for sponsorships and promotion opportunities
- Assist with outreach to campus and local media.
- Support the agenda, planning, and staging of the conference itself.
The ideal candidate will have:
- Demonstrated experience in and passion for food and agriculture issues.
- Excellent writing and communication skills.
- Ability to self-manage and stay organized while maintaining multiple assignments and deadlines.
- Coursework or experience reflecting interest and knowledge of communications, media, marketing, social media, and website design. Work in media and communications fields is a plus. The work requires attention to detail and creativity.
- Skills in event management or volunteer coordination are a major plus.
To apply, please send a resume, cover letter, and writing sample or portfolio to Vanesa Botero-Lowry ([email protected]) with “Food Tank Event Fellow – San Diego” in the subject line. Questions can be directed to the same contact.
The recruitment process is open until positions are filled. Due to the volume of applications we receive, we will contact only those persons selected for an interview. A stipend is available for this position.
Food Tank Research and Writing Internship
Duration: 3-6 months, part-time or full-time (minimum 15-20 hours per week).
Start Date: We don’t have internship openings at the moment – but please check back in soon!
Research and Communications Internships with Food Tank are a unique and exciting opportunity to support and participate in research that drives health, nutrition, and environmental policy. The intern will work closely with Food Tank staff on the following: research and fact-checking; collecting, organizing, and managing web content; organizing resources and contacts; providing logistical and administrative support to on-the-ground research; and assisting in writing and outreach that will contribute to and help promote ongoing projects. Interns will also have the chance to have their name published on prominent food, nutrition, policy, and environmental websites and in major newspapers and columns around the world.
The ideal candidate will have:
- Excellent research, writing, and communication skills, preferably experience reporting on issues for newspapers, journals, and other publications.
- Demonstrated experience in and passion for food and agricultural issues – and for the importance of accurate information and analysis to guide environmental decision making.
- Coursework reflecting interest and knowledge of communications, media, social media, and website design. Work in media and communications field a plus. The work requires attention to detail and creativity.
- Skills in event management.
- Ability to self-manage and multi-task.
The recruitment process is open until positions are filled. Due to the volume of applications we receive, we will contact only those persons selected for an interview.
To apply, please send a resume, cover letter, and writing sample to McKenna Hayes at [email protected] with “Food Tank Research and Communications Internship” in the subject line.
Food Tank is hiring freelance writers to contribute creative, high-quality, in-depth, and investigative articles and news stories. Professional writers with experience in food justice, food policy, nutrition, and sustainable agriculture are encouraged to join us. This is a unique and exciting opportunity to support and develop groundbreaking research driving health, nutrition, and environmental policy. This is a remote position, and international writers are encouraged to apply.
Payment is determined on a sliding scale pending on the length of article and depth of research.
If interested, please submit the following to McKenna Hayes ([email protected]) with “Food Tank Freelance” in the subject line.
- Three linked articles featured in reputable news sources.
- Three article pitches
Please provide detailed information in your article pitches, including bullet points on:
- Why is this important and interesting to our readers?
- How will you approach and investigate the topic – what is the point?
- How is this relevant and timely? Ex: A couple lines including a link to a study, reliable source news article, etc.
- Include potential sources: relevant reports, links, or articles that you will use as sources for the article.
- Expert interview/opinions: please include idea/contact info for an interviewee(s).