Food Tank Research, Writing, and Event Fellowship
Start Date: Rolling
Hours: 25 per week
Duration: 4 months with possible extension
Payment: Stipend Available.
Research, Writing, and Event Fellowships with Food Tank are a unique and exciting opportunity to support and participate in research and advocacy that drives health, nutrition, and environmental policy. Most of Food Tank’s staff have been hired directly post the fellowship program and are now leading major areas of our ongoing work or are in prominent roles across the good food movement.
With the mentorship and support of Food Tank staff including President Danielle Nierenberg, Research, Writing, and Event Fellows will hone their skills assisting in a wide variety of projects including:
- Writing original articles for Food Tank and our major media partners
- Developing articles for major blogs, newspapers, websites, and magazines. Previous fellows have appeared in the Guardian, USA Today, the Chicago Tribune the Miami Herald, and dozens more
- Interviewing food system leaders and experts
- Research and content development to meet deliverables for grants/ projects with partner organizations
- Collecting, organizing, and managing web content
- Data entry and management
- Assisting with partner and member outreach
- Event management and coordination for fireside chats, Food Tank Summits, events at major food conferences, and more
- Building social media and emerging media presence and supporting our chart topping podcast “Food Talk with Dani Nierenberg”
- Conducting research, fact checking, and assisting with research for major events, speechwriting, and media outreach.
The ideal candidate will have:
- Master’s degree reflecting interest and knowledge of food and agricultural issues and/or sustainable development or equivalent experience is a plus
- Coursework or experience reflecting interest and knowledge of communications, media, social media,event planning, and website design. Work in media and communication fields is a plus
- Excellent writing and communication skills, preferably experience reporting on issues for newspapers, journals, and other publications
- Experience working in a remote position
- Ability to self-manage
- Ability to prioritize multiple assignments and deadlines in a fast-paced work environment
- Attention to detail and creativity
- Event management, marketing, and customer service skills is a plus
- Proficiency with WordPress and Active Campaign is a plus
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office and Google Drive programs
To apply, please send the following documents in one PDF attachment to Brian Frederick (email@example.com) with “Food Tank Research & Writing Fellow” in the subject line.
- Resume and cover letter. We are looking for a thoughtful cover letter that displays your writing style
- Two writing samples
Please note this is an extremely competitive application process and due to the volume of applicants we receive, we will contact only those persons selected for an interview. A paid stipend is available for this position.
Food Tank is hiring freelance writers to contribute creative, high-quality, in-depth, and investigative articles and news stories. Professional writers with experience in food justice, food policy, nutrition, and sustainable agriculture are encouraged to join us. This is a unique and exciting opportunity to support and develop groundbreaking research driving health, nutrition, and environmental policy. This is a remote position, and international writers are encouraged to apply.
Payment is determined on a sliding scale pending on the length of article and depth of research.
If interested, please submit the following to Brian Frederick (firstname.lastname@example.org) with “Food Tank Freelance” in the subject line.
- Three linked articles featured in reputable news sources.
- Three article pitches
Please provide detailed information in your article pitches, including bullet points on:
- Why is this important and interesting to our readers?
- How will you approach and investigate the topic – what is the point?
- How is this relevant and timely? Ex: A couple lines including a link to a study, reliable source news article, etc.
- Include potential sources: relevant reports, links, or articles that you will use as sources for the article.
- Expert interview/opinions: please include idea/contact info for an interviewee(s).
Food Tank Research, Event, Advocacy, and Writing Internship
Duration: 3-6 months, part-time or full-time (minimum 15-25 hours per week).
Start Date: Rolling
Research, Event, Advocacy, and Writing Internships with Food Tank are a unique and exciting opportunity to support and participate in research that drives health, nutrition, and environmental policy. The intern will work closely with Food Tank staff on the following: research and fact-checking; collecting, organizing, and managing web content; organizing resources and contacts; providing logistical and administrative support to on-the-ground research; assisting with the Food Talk podcast, weekly newsletter, planning and executing live events as well as attending major food conferences; and assisting in writing and outreach that will contribute to and help promote ongoing projects. Interns will also have the chance to have their name published on prominent food, nutrition, policy, and environmental websites and in major newspapers and columns around the world.
The ideal candidate will have:
- Excellent research, writing, and communication skills, preferably experience reporting on issues for newspapers, journals, digital media, and other publications.
- Demonstrated experience in and passion for food and agricultural issues – and for the importance of accurate information and analysis to guide environmental decision making.
- Coursework reflecting interest and knowledge of communications, media, social media, and website design. Work in media and communications field a plus. The work requires attention to detail and creativity.
- Skills in event management.
- Ability to self-manage and multi-task.
The recruitment process is open until positions are filled. Due to the volume of applications we receive, we will contact only those persons selected for an interview.
To apply, please send a resume, cover letter, and writing sample to Brian Frederick at Brian@foodtank.com with “Food Tank Research and Communications Internship” in the subject line.