Freelance Graphic Designer
Start date: Immediate
Food Tank is hiring a freelance graphic designer to help on a project-to-project basis to design digital collateral to drive program participation, fundraising, merchandise sales, and brand awareness. The graphic designer will work with brand guidelines and vision to create high-quality deliverables for the organization. Digital projects may include the creation of graphics, event materials, slide decks, branded reports, and other program and promotional materials for Food Tank. This is a remote position with preference given to applicants based in the United States.
The ideal candidate will have:
- A minimum of 3-5 years professional experience in graphic design.
- Proficiency in Adobe Creative Suite.
- Understanding of typography, layout, photo editing, color balance, core design principles and branding.
- Excellent time management and organizational skills with the ability to turn projects around quickly and efficiently.
- Excellent written and verbal communication and collaboration skills.
- Commitment to building sustainable and resilient food systems.
To apply, please submit the following to Elena Seeley (email@example.com) with “Food Tank_Graphic Designer” in the subject line.
- Resume or CV
- A link to a portfolio or a PDF portfolio demonstrating relevant work
In your email, please include a short note about yourself and why you are interested in the role.
Food Tank Research, Event, Advocacy, and Writing Internship
Duration: 4 months, 15-20 hours per week
Compensation: Paid, $15/hour
Applications due: December 1 (Spring internship); April 1 (Summer internship); August 1 (Fall internship)
Start date: January 1 (Spring internship); May 1 (Summer internship); September 1 (Fall internship)
The Research, Event, Advocacy, and Writing Internship with Food Tank is a unique and exciting opportunity to support and participate in research that drives health, nutrition, and environmental policy. Interns will work closely with Food Tank staff on the following: contributing to articles individuals, organizations, and movements working to build a better food system; conducting original interviews with activists, researchers, chefs, business leaders, and more; collecting, organizing, and managing web content; organizing resources and contacts; assisting with the Food Talk podcast, contributing to the development of the weekly newsletter; planning and executing live events as well as attending major food conferences; and assisting in writing and outreach that will contribute to and help promote ongoing projects. Interns will also have the chance to have their name published on prominent food, nutrition, policy, and environmental websites around the world. Interns will also have the chance to hear directly from leading food writers and journalists.
The ideal candidate will have:
- Excellent research, writing, and communication skills, preferably experience reporting on issues for newspapers, journals, digital media, and other publications.
- Demonstrated experience in and passion for food and agricultural issues – and for the importance of accurate information and analysis to guide environmental decision making.
- Coursework reflecting interest and knowledge of communications, media, social media, and website design. Work in media and communications a plus.
- Strong attention to detail
- Skills in event management.
- Ability to self-manage and multi-task.
Due to the volume of applications we receive, we will contact only those persons selected for an interview.
To apply, please send a resume, cover letter, and 2 writing samples to Elena Seeley at Elena@foodtank.com with “Food Tank Research and Communications Internship” in the subject line.
Please note in the body of your email which season you are applying for.
Food Tank is hiring freelance writers to contribute creative, high-quality, in-depth, and investigative articles and news stories. Professional writers with experience in food justice, food policy, nutrition, and sustainable agriculture are encouraged to join us. This is a unique and exciting opportunity to support and develop groundbreaking research driving health, nutrition, and environmental policy. This is a remote position, and international writers are encouraged to apply.
Payment is determined on a sliding scale pending on the length of article and depth of research.
If interested, please submit the following to Elena Seeley (firstname.lastname@example.org) with “Food Tank Freelance” in the subject line.
- Three linked articles featured in reputable news sources.
- Three article pitches
Please provide detailed information in your article pitches, including bullet points on:
- Why is this important and interesting to our readers?
- How will you approach and investigate the topic – what is the point?
- How is this relevant and timely? Ex: A couple lines including a link to a study, reliable source news article, etc.
- Include potential sources: relevant reports, links, or articles that you will use as sources for the article.
- Expert interview/opinions: please include idea/contact info for an interviewee(s).