Food Tank Research and Writing Fellowship
Start Date: November 19, 2018
Position: Part-Time, Stipend
Hours: 25 per week
Duration: 4 months with possible extension
Application Deadline: November 5, 2018
Research and Writing Fellowships with Food Tank are a unique and exciting opportunity to support and participate in research that drives health, nutrition, and environmental policy.
With the mentorship and support of Food Tank staff, Research and Writing Fellows will hone their skills assisting in a wide variety of projects including:
- Writing content for FoodTank.com
- Interviewing food system leaders and experts
- Research and content development to meet deliverables for grants/ projects with partner organizations
- Collecting, organizing, and managing web content
- Data entry and management
- Assisting with partner and member outreach
- Event management and coordination
- Building social media and web presence
- Developing articles for major blogs, newspapers, websites, and magazines
- Research and fact-checking various nonprofit materials
The ideal candidate will have:
- Master’s Degree reflecting interest and knowledge of food and agricultural issues and/or sustainable development or equivalent experience
- Coursework reflecting interest and knowledge of communications, media, social media, and website design. Work in media and communication fields is a plus
- Excellent writing and communication skills, preferably experience reporting on issues for newspapers, journals, and other publications
- Experience working in a remote position
- Ability to self-manage
- Ability to prioritize multiple assignments and deadlines in a fast-paced work environment
- Attention to detail and creativity
- Event management, marketing, and customer service skills
- Proficiency with WordPress and Active Campaign
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office and Google Drive programs
To apply, please send the following documents in one PDF attachment to Brian Frederick (firstname.lastname@example.org) with “Food Tank Research & Writing Fellow” in the subject line.
- Resume and cover letter. We are looking for a thoughtful cover letter that displays your writing style
- GRE/LSAT/GMAT scores (if applicable)
- Two writing samples
Please note this is an extremely competitive application process and due to the volume of applicants we receive, we will contact only those persons selected for an interview. A stipend is available for this position.
Food Tank is hiring freelance writers to contribute creative, high-quality, in-depth, and investigative articles and news stories. Professional writers with experience in food justice, food policy, nutrition, and sustainable agriculture are encouraged to join us. This is a unique and exciting opportunity to support and develop groundbreaking research driving health, nutrition, and environmental policy. This is a remote position, and international writers are encouraged to apply.
Payment is determined on a sliding scale pending on the length of article and depth of research.
If interested, please submit the following to Brian Frederick (email@example.com) with “Food Tank Freelance” in the subject line.
- Three linked articles featured in reputable news sources.
- Three article pitches
Please provide detailed information in your article pitches, including bullet points on:
- Why is this important and interesting to our readers?
- How will you approach and investigate the topic – what is the point?
- How is this relevant and timely? Ex: A couple lines including a link to a study, reliable source news article, etc.
- Include potential sources: relevant reports, links, or articles that you will use as sources for the article.
- Expert interview/opinions: please include idea/contact info for an interviewee(s).
Food Tank Research and Writing Internship
Duration: 3-6 months, part-time or full-time (minimum 15-20 hours per week).
Start Date: We are not currently filling this position
Research and Communications Internships with Food Tank are a unique and exciting opportunity to support and participate in research that drives health, nutrition, and environmental policy. The intern will work closely with Food Tank staff on the following: research and fact-checking; collecting, organizing, and managing web content; organizing resources and contacts; providing logistical and administrative support to on-the-ground research; and assisting in writing and outreach that will contribute to and help promote ongoing projects. Interns will also have the chance to have their name published on prominent food, nutrition, policy, and environmental websites and in major newspapers and columns around the world.
The ideal candidate will have:
- Excellent research, writing, and communication skills, preferably experience reporting on issues for newspapers, journals, and other publications.
- Demonstrated experience in and passion for food and agricultural issues – and for the importance of accurate information and analysis to guide environmental decision making.
- Coursework reflecting interest and knowledge of communications, media, social media, and website design. Work in media and communications field a plus. The work requires attention to detail and creativity.
- Skills in event management.
- Ability to self-manage and multi-task.
The recruitment process is open until positions are filled. Due to the volume of applications we receive, we will contact only those persons selected for an interview.
To apply, please send a resume, cover letter, and writing sample to Brian Frederick at Brian@foodtank.com with “Food Tank Research and Communications Internship” in the subject line.